Wednesday, October 24, 2012

A Reunion in the Country

A week ago I found myself in the Wolverhampton train station bound for Derbyshire, a village area in the English country side.  I was few short hours from I being reunited with the other UK YAGM volunteers and needless to say I was excited! So I am sitting there and I look up at the departures board where I see that my first train had been cancelled; but, the next train was to leave a half an hour later...so I wasn't worried.  That is until the next train was delay, ten, fifteen....thirty nine minutes, that is when I started to panic a little.  Now, I wasn't worried that I wasn't going to get there, but, that they were going to start having fun without me! Eventually, and about two hours behind schedule, I made it to Cliff College and was back together with some of the best people I know!

The first couple of days were dedicated to the Time for God orientation conference.  It was a time spent in reflection of our first weeks here, the amazing people who have welcomed us into their lives, and some of the hardships and difficulties we have encountered. We reconnected. It was a time where our goofy and incredible loud sides resurfaced and a lot of laughter ensued! For the first time in almost two months I received a proper hug (the very observant words of one Amanda Brateng).

That is not to say that I don't get hugs on a normal basis; but, they are not the face squished, I am gonna break your back because I am squeezing you so hard kind of hugs. Let's just say, there was a lot of hugging last week!

After our TFG pow-wow, we were enrolled in a course at the college called Christian Life and Mission. It was a five day course that included teachings on Luke's gospel and looking at our role in God's mission.  It was different to approach the idea of mission in such a literal way. I struggled through the week and the conservative theology that was presented; however, the week was a blessing that it strongly affirmed my beliefs.  I am also incredibly thankful for the new friends that I made from a number of different organizations similar to TFG. 

We had an amazing week. As much as I was looking forward to returning to Wolverhampton, my routine, and my own bed, it was a very somber goodbye.  It's funny to think that before coming to the UK I had spent a total of 11 days with the other YAGMs. I suppose that is all it takes; that, and some extreme emotional situations! As we spent our last morning together I was struck by how lucky I was to have these wonderful people in my life. I hope that all of you reading this will some day get the chance to meet some of them, for they truly are incredible and loving people! 
For,  
"How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard." -Winnie the Pooh

As always...God is good, and so is life!

No comments:

Post a Comment